The great thing about coconut is its versatility; it feels refreshing in warm weather and comforting in cold. This Coconut Cupcake recipe makes the most of it, featuring a triple whammy of coconut in the batter—flakes, extract and milk—and a coconut cream cheese frosting.
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sweetened flaked coconut
3/4 c. unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp. coconut extract or vanilla extract
3/4 c. light coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
COCONUT–WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1 c. white chocolate baking chips
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 brick cream cheese
1/2 tsp. coconut extract
2 1/2 c. sugar
Garnish: sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; stir in coconut.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until creamed, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until blended. Beat in coconut extract.
- With mixer on low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and coconut milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until just blended.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake 20 to 23 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt white baking chips in a small glass bowl in microwave as package directs. Beat butter, cream cheese and coconut extract in large bowl with electric mixer until creamed and blended. Beat in melted white chocolate until blended. On low speed, gradually beat in sugar.
- Spread 2 Tbsp frosting onto each cupcake; sprinkle tops with toasted coconut.